Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DIY Card Table Makeover!

I am so excited about this!  I am kicking myself because I didn't take before and after pictures, but the thought of putting it on my blog didn't cross my mind until I had it all taken apart.  oh well, live and learn. 

I bought this CHEAP-O card table set at Walmart about 7 years ago, so lets just say it wasn't covered with the greatest of materials.  2 years ago we used it to set things on when we had a yard sale, and it sat in the sun all day, in June.  It has never been the same.  It got a big spot on it that actually melted somehow, and it got sticky.  I could never wipe the sticky off, so I just never used it, or if I did I threw a sheet over it. 

I decided it was time to either re-cover the top or throw it away.  So I decided to be optimistic and see what I could do.  I went to Jo-Ann's and bought a heavyweight plastic to cover outside furniture for $3.99/yard and picked out a fabric to put under it.  I am a little obsessed with like zebra print, so that's what I went with for this project.  Why bother if you don't love it, right?  The fabric was $6.99 a yard.  Of course, I never pay full price for fabric.  Between my mailers, emails and smartphone app, I always have at least 40% off coupons.  So I got 1 yard of each fabric and went to town.  My card table happens to measure 32" square so a yard was all I needed. 

This is the end result!  I LOVE it


So all total, this cost me about $5, and my table is again useable.  Also it's super cute.  My husband is going to roll his eyes SO BAD when he sees the zebra.  This makes it even better me feel a little bit sorry I chose zebra, but only a little.  Hooray for up-cycling! 

I bought my son a kid-sized card table and chairs that were left outside and are looking pretty sorry.  I can already envision a little spray paint for the frame and re-covering the chairs and table top for my daughter.  But I guess I'll wait till she's at least crawling ;-)

What have you saved from the trash lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment