Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A Crunchy Little Update!

It's been a week.  A whole week of no soap, shampoo OR conditioner.  I have to say, I LOVE using only baking soda on my body.  I feel much cleaner and my skin feels very soft.  I think the part I love most is that it does take a little bit longer to wash, and it's very mildly exfoliating, so it feels like a little treat or getaway when I take a shower.  This is good for my sanity.  I have been using it on my face as well and I feel like my skin looks better, and when I get out of the shower I don't have that "my skin is shrinking off my face" feeling I do after using soap.  WIN! 

I'm still a little bit on the fence about the baking soda/apple cider vinegar regimen for my hair.  I was warned though, that there is a 2-4 week adjustment period so I am continuing on in my crunchy journey.  At first my hair felt like straw, but noticed that it felt less straw like when I went a day in between washes, instead of washing it everyday.  On saturday I was frustrated with my scarecrow hair and close to giving up, but I washed it that night and when I woke up Sunday morning and it was dry, it was SO SOFT!  This is giving me courage to continue on.  I thought it would be static-y but it hasn't been so that's great. 

Some things I have learned:

1. Wash every other day, not every day, so your hair has time to balance out how much oil it's making. 
2. the squirt bottle idea doesn't work as well in practice as it does in theory.  We ended up using the paste I made for our body soap on our hair as well, it works much better. 
3.  Concentrate on your scalp and roots with the baking soda, use less on the ends.  At least for my hair.  It is long, and the ends is where it feels straw like, the hair closer to my head feels amazing. 

So it's been a good experiment so far.  It's been fun having my husband do this with me.  The kids will totally freak if we make them do it I think! 

Sarah at My Merry Messy Life also has a recipe for a body butter that she uses as lotion as well as hair cream on her curly hair.  I think I'm going to make this too, and see if that may be the missing component for my ends.  I'll let you know how it goes!

Has anyone else tried this?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment